Computing education, as a research discipline, is the study of how people come to understand computational processes and devices, and how to improve that understanding. As computation becomes ubiquitous in our world, understanding of computing in order to design, structure, maintain, and utilize these technologies becomes increasingly important both for the technology professional, but also for the technologically literate citizen. The research study of how the understanding of computation develops, and how to improve that understanding, is critically important for the technology-dependent societies in which we live.
The International Computing Education Research (ICER) conference aims at gathering high-quality contributions to the computing education research discipline. It has been held annually since 2005 at sites around the world, and recently has been attracting an audience of over 100 computing education researchers.
Policies set by the SIGCSE Board regarding conferences:
- Conference Chair Selection - Guidelines for the selection of conference chairs.
- Program Chair Responsibilities - Guidelines to help ensure that conference programs provide both short and long term benefits to the conference attendees and the wider community.
- Conflict of Interest - Conflict of Interest policy for all SIGCSE conferences.
- Presenter Substitution - Conference presenter substitution / no-show policy.
- Corporate Sponsorship - Guidelines for corporate support for conferences.
- Committee Remuneration Guidelines - Guidelines for the remuneration of volunteers who work on conference committees.
- Volunteer Travel Policy - Applies to travel by the SIGCSE Board and its representatives.
Past, present and future ICER conferences
Follow the links to conference web sites.
- ICER 2019, Toronto, Canada
- ICER 2018, Helsinki, Finland
- ICER 2017, Tacoma, WA, USA
- ICER 2016, Melbourne, Australia
- ICER 2015, Omaha, NE, USA
- ICER 2014, Glasgow, UK
- ICER 2013, San Diego, CA, USA
- ICER 2012, New Zealand
- ICER 2011, Providence, RI, USA
- ICER 2010, Aarhus, Denmark
- ICER 2009, Berkeley, CA, USA
- ICER 2008, Sydney, Australia
- ICER 2007, Atlanta, GA, USA
- ICER 2006, Canterbury, UK
- ICER 2005, Seattle, WA, USA
A History of SIGCSE Events (maintained by Susan Rodger)