Travel Grant Program
SIGCSE will award up to five grants per year to defray travel expenses of faculty attending the annual SIGCSE Symposium. Travel Grant award winners will receive complimentary Symposium registration plus up to $500 towards travel expenses. We are particularly interested in encouraging attendance by new faculty and/or faculty who have never been able to attend previously.
The list of travel grant winners shows the individuals who have benefited from this fund.
The SIGCSE Board gratefully acknowledges former Board chair Henry Walker for his efforts in establishing this grant program and for his generous donation which served as the impetus to get the program started. With this beginning, the SIGCSE Board gave its enthusiastic support, and agreed to waive the Symposium registration fee for grant recipients. Further contributions by SIGCSE members have expanded the funding available for additional grants.
To be eligible for this travel grant program, an individual
- should not have attended the Symposium previously as a faculty member or primary or secondary teacher,
- should not have access to travel funds from their local institution, and
- must be a SIGCSE member.
Note SIGCSE Board members are not eligible to apply for a travel grant.
A formal application consists of the following items and is completed through this travel grant form:
- Email address
- Institution and type (primary, secondary, post-secondary, industry)
- Position at the institution
- Country of residence
- SIGCSE member number
- A two-part question that includes:
- Part 1 (600 characters maximum): How do you think attendance will benefit you?
- Part 2 (600 characters maximum): How do you plan to share what you learn with your community?
Priority for awards are given to groups that historically have been underrepresented among attendees at the conference. This includes but is not limited to women, people of color, faculty or teachers from low-resource institutions such as primary and secondary schools or community colleges, and SIGCSE members from outside the United States. Applications demonstrating a strong engagement in computing education and describing a solid plan for positively impacting the local computing education community over the long term will be viewed more favorably by the committee.
Submit this travel grant form by November 1, 2021 to be considered for the 2022 SIGCSE Technical Symposium. Notification of awards is expected by December 1, 2021.
The SIGCSE organization anticipates up to five travel grants to the symposium will be awarded each year. Each grant is subject to these rules:
- Registration for the Symposium is waived by the SIGCSE Board. This waiver applies to the symposium itself, but not to workshops.
- The grant will cover documented travel, hotel, and meal expenses up to $500.
- Allowable expenses are subject to ACM Volunteer Reimbursement Policies.
- If a grant is awarded, receipts will be submitted via an online system. Information about using that system will be communicated with award recipients via email.
The SIGCSE Board gratefully acknowledges former Board chair Henry Walker for his efforts in establishing this grant program and for his generous donation which served as the impetus to get the program started. This program depends upon donations for continued operation and possible expansion. Already, several SIGCSE members and friends have contributed, and we strongly encourage further donations to help support this ongoing program. Donations may be sent to:
ACM, Office of Financial Services
1601 Broadway, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10019-7434
Please make checks payable to ACM/SIGCSE and please mark on memo "The SIGCSE Travel Grant Program". ACM is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. As such, your contribution to SIGCSE is deductible to the extent provided by law.